The Benefits of Anodising – Anodising enhances the natural qualities of aluminium, sulphuric anodising is an electrolytic treatment for aluminium that produces a coating of aluminium oxide. It is a process achieved by suspending the raw aluminium in a mixture of water and Sulphuric acid solution and passing a DC current through. This process increases the natural aluminium oxide coating on the surface of the metal. This coating exhibits excellent corrosion resistance and can be dyed in a variety of colours. The coating is available up to around 25 microns in thickness (beyond this thickness, hard anodising is required). Aluminium is ideally suited to anodising, although other nonferrous metals, such as magnesium and titanium, can also be anodised.
The Benefits of Anodising:
- Anodising is durable and will not flake, chip, or peel over time.
- Anodised parts are easy to maintain. Rinsing or mild soap and water cleaning usually will restore an anodized surface to its original appearance. Mild abrasive cleaners can be used for more difficult deposits.
- Colour sustainability, because of the sealing process during anodising, it helps to keep your anodised part looking factory new for years. Anodizing offers a large number of colour alternatives and minimises or eliminates colour variations.
- Anodising uses the base metal – the aluminium alloy – to create a thin, extremely strong and corrosion-resistant finish. The anodised surface is very hard and thus preserves and extends the life of the aluminium product.
- Anodising, is “recycle-neutral” with minimal use of materials such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and heavy metals.